The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Red and Sweet

June. Just June.

June is a red month.  A sweet month.  It is the month of strawberries from our garden.

 June 7.

We pick a few handfuls here and there the first week of June, enough to cut up and put in my oatmeal throughout the week.


But then the serious harvesting begins, and we have enough strawberries for the whole family.  For what, you may ask?

June 14.

June 14, second batch.

On the counter, awaiting our tummies!

You may ask what we do with these nice large bowls of delicious red and sweet.  Do I can them?  Make strawberry jam?  Or rhubarb strawberry jam?

I made cinnamon-rhubarb preserves with agar instead of pectin.  No strawberries in this stuff!

Nope.  These sweet, delicious strawberries are good for plain ol' eating.  And what better way to enjoy them than strawberry shortcakes?  Pretty much heaven, right there.

And y'know, I never took a picture of the shortcakes with my real whipped cream, the strawberries just falling out of the sweet biscuit...  We ran out of whipped cream (and it's a bit expensive) before I realized I should've taken a picture.  But since we had strawberries left, and a half gallon of vanilla ice cream in the freezer...

Strawberry shortcakes with vanilla ice cream.

I love June, red and sweet!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)