The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Monday, July 7, 2014

Put Some Italian on Your Salad!

Short and sweet post here, folks, because I made this classic Italian vinaigrette recently, and just had to share with you for your summertime salads!


Don't you just love a salad in summertime?  I picked my first tomatoes of the season this afternoon; they're an heirloom variety called Cherokee Purple.  We sliced one up immediately, of course, and I tell you, a party broke out in my mouth!

A little drizzle of this dressing is all you need for your salad, or for a pasta salad, or just drizzle it on a sliced tomato straight from the garden!  Enjoy!!

Italian Vinaigrette

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup evoo (extra-virgin olive oil)
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (I use freshly ground, and 3-4 grinder twists is all you need)
1 tablespoon minced parsley (I use fresh, use less if dried, about 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Combine ingredients in a jar; shake to blend.  Done!  (Or keep reading for what I do.)

I put everything in a blender cup and blend with my stick blender.  It will emulsify--it gets thick and creamy, like you see in the picture above--as you blend.  It will separate over time, though; just shake it up before you use it the next time.  I actually store this on the counter, since there are no refrigerated ingredients in it.  It has stored well for about two weeks this way.  If you're leery about that, store it in the fridge, but be warned--the olive oil will thicken and you'll need to bring the jar to room temperature so it's pourable.  (Either way, shake it up to re-blend before each use.)


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)