The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Monday, July 7, 2014

Planting Day Eve

May 19.

It's as much fun as Christmas Eve, New Years Eve--any eve, really.  There's something special about the day before something special.  The day before Planting Day is no different!

It was (relatively) warm, so I decided it couldn't wait any longer.  Plus, it was already May 19 and Lord willing it wouldn't frost again--although some nearby towns had snow flurries just four days earlier!  This is Chicagoland, mind you, not Alaska, so that's pretty incredible for May.


Above is my garden planner, which I drew to scale (you'll see a better picture tomorrow).  I've labeled each raised bed, and what goes in each of the beds.  Hubby scanned the blank form and made a PDF of it, so all I do is print one off each year and I'm ready to plan.  Really, I should plan this out not on Planting Day Eve, but at least a week or two earlier.  Or, if I plan to plant cool weather crops (peas, lettuce, spinach, etc.), I need to plan this out in March.  So don't procrastinate like I did.  :)  Of course, since we're not in the best place financially, I had to wait to see if we could even afford to have a garden this year.


I took a week's worth of grocery money and spent every penny on our garden--and it was the perfect amount!  It was easier to purchase compost in bags than in bulk, so that's what I did.  My sweet Joseph helped rake it into each square of each bed.


One of my guys--can't remember which--thoughtfully raked in what we had saved of the fireplace ash.  This went into the beds where I would be planting my tomatoes, since the ash is high in potassium and helps prevent blossom-end rot (opposite the stem, you'll see a grayish spot that spreads--I still harvest those, cut out the bad spots, and it's good to eat/can).   I can say that so far this year (it's now July), it's working.


I had various spots of garlic sprouting up randomly, so Jacob dug those up and transplanted them for me into the garlic bed.  I ran out of last year's garlic crop already, so I wanted to save as much as I could.




The garlic bed.

Below, you can see the purple onions that unexpectedly popped up from last year's crop.  I thought I had harvested them all, but apparently a few never sprouted, and here they were!  I will transplant those tomorrow, on Planting Day.


Finally, here are the two cardboard trays of veggies and herbs for my garden!


Can't wait for tomorrow!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)