The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Monday, May 7, 2012

You Got Dough? I Got Sweet!


As a homeschool mom, I am taking a guess that if you're reading this blog, you're a mom.  You may probably be a homeschool mom.  You may also be a mom who makes a lot of things from scratch, even if you don't enjoy cooking or baking.  Finally, I'm guessing that you know how to make bread.

When I bake bread, I make four loaves at a time, and every now and then (not often enough, according to my young men), I turn a loaf (or two) of the dough into cinnamon rolls.  Once the dough is made, it's only a matter of minutes to roll up some cinnamon-y sweet goodness to rise along with the bread.  Never fear--if you aren't into baking bread, you can purchase bread dough at the store.

As you read the recipe below, you'll find that I don't measure much when I make these.  I just go with what looks good.  Once the dough is ready, you really can't go wrong!


Easy Cinnamon Rolls

One recipe bread dough
butter (about half a stick), softened
cinnamon and sugar (maybe half a cup or more)
confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar), about one cup
milk (just a tablespoon or two)

Once your bread dough is made (or bought), oil your counter.  Don't use flour; too much flour will dry out your dough.  I spread the oil around with my hand, then handle the dough with my oily hands.

On the oily surface, roll out dough to measure about 15" wide by 8" long.  With an icing spreader, spread softened butter all over the surface of the dough.  Spread it as thin (or thick!) as you want.  Then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar (one cup sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon) over the butter.  Sprinkle as much or as little as you want.

Starting at the back edge, roll up the roll toward you, keeping it as tight as you can.  Once it's completely rolled up, pinch the edge all along the roll to seal it up.  With a sharp knife (I use a serrated knife), carefully cut the roll into 12 equal portions.  Place each of the portions into a 13x9 pan.  Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour or more.  Once they're risen, heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the rolls for 20-30 minutes, until the tops are golden and the dough looks done.

Remove from the oven and let cool.  Once they are completely cooled, in a measuring cup with a spout mix about one cup of confectioner's sugar with a tablespoon of milk (add more milk if it's too thick, or more sugar if it's too thin).  Drizzle this mixture over the rolls.  You can leave the rolls in the pan to serve, or you can separate them and place them on a serving dish.

Cinnamon rolls are a hit at my home!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)