The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tea Talk -- Carried Away



Welcome to my home for Ruth's Tea Talk!
Sit and share a cup of tea with me as we encourage each other in the Lord.
To participate, click on Ruth's button above.


I'm having...iced tea with lemon; I'm using my blue goblet.  I'm sitting on my bench in my back yard garden today, enjoying the remaining summer.

I'm feeling...[insert normal response:  fine].  Oh!  I have something different to report here:  I'm excited, sad, a little worried and/or nervous, and happy all at the same time.  Because...

On Monday, my dear sons Jacob (20) and Danny (18) got in the car...

Jacob (right), and Danny (left)

...backed out of the driveway...


...and drove off to college:


They came back later, of course.  Joliet Junior College is just half an hour away.  But they were gone all morning and my house was quiet with just Joseph, Thomas, and I.  I've always said--take one child away, and the noise level declines dramatically.  But having two gone results in a different feel altogether.  This is what it's like when they start to fly away.  I'm glad this learning-to-fly business is happening bit by bit.  :)

On my mind...is a photo shoot I'm going to do tomorrow night for a young Marine recently returned from Afghanistan.  Having married a Navy man, I have experienced a flood of memories as I think about the people in the military, and especially their willing sacrifice as they serve their country.

I leave you with...this passage of Scripture and a thought:

When Jesus came into Peter's home,
He saw his mother-in-law lying sick in bed with a fever.
He touched her hand, and the fever left her;
and she got up and waited on Him.
When evening came,
they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed;
and He cast out the spirits with a word,
and healed all who were ill.
This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet:

HE HIMSELF TOOK OUR INFIRMITIES
AND CARRIED AWAY OUR DISEASES.

Matthew 8:14-17


In our family devotions, the question arose:  Why did Matthew reference the Scripture in Isaiah (chapter 54), which usually generally refers to the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross?  And an interesting idea arose in response:  maybe Jesus healed in the physical sense to show the people that He would also heal in the spiritual sense.  After all, He spoke in parables so that the people could understand the spiritual idea behind the physical illustration.  By healing someone physically, He proved that He had the power to heal us spiritually.  He demonstrated this concept later in Scripture (the very next chapter of Matthew) when He forgave someone's sins first, then healed his physical body (cast out demons) afterward.

I am truly thankful that He can physically heal--I have felt His healing touch in my own body at various times.  But I am also truly thankful that He has healed me spiritually.  I am washed clean.  I am whole.  I am His.



Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post (again) Christine. You have very handsome young men. I can tell their hearts are as beautiful as their outward appearance. you've raised them well. i know they will do good adjusting to college life, as what my son is doing now.

    thank you for sharing those verses and the insights from you devotion. I look up to Jesus as my healer, both physical and spriritual. He also heals relationships and all that is broken in our lives. I cannot fathom the greatness of His power that is available for us, His beloved children.

    God bless your day and you photo session tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your post and what you shared about your family devotional. And yes, when kids grow up and fly the coop it is a bit challenging for mamas. Praying blessings on your photo shoot! May it go smoothly.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee Christine, this is such a wonderful TEA TALK!!! Thank you so much!
    Your goblet is quite lovely and I can just imagine you relaxing and resting in the Lord out in your pretty garden:)
    Shame on those boys who grow up and tear at mothers' hearts! ::smile:: xo
    Looks like two fine young men you've got there.
    Will keep them in our prayers as the venture down a new lane in life!
    As for your family devotional, I appreciate the beautiful message you have shared here...this is the way I have explained it to my children when they ask why some, physically sick, pray and do not get well...I tell them that there is always SPIRITUAL healing when we pray and that God knows what is best for us...sometimes, keeping the physical ailment is a means to grace and blessing that our spirits need in order to be completely healed!
    Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic. I was truly blessed here today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)