The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, August 12, 2011

BBQ = MMG

(That's Mmm, Mmm, Good!)


Plans4You


I'm linking up with Lori's Friday Farm Girls @ Heart today.


Summer is a great season for grilling.  There's just something about hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, and chicken on the grill.  Mmm...  The best thing about grilling is that Fernando does it.  I must confess that I don't even know how to light his grill.  It's his baby, and I'm glad for it!  He prepares the meat, I prepare the side dishes, and everything works out just fine.

Some things on the grill call for barbecue sauce, and that can get pretty expensive--especially when we're trying to eat healthy food.  I love Trader Joe's Bold 'N Spicy, but that's around $3 per jar.  I found a recipe online, but it was way too vinegary and I ended up doctoring it and using it in my baked bean recipe, which was actually pretty good!

A counter full of ingredients


I ended up taking that original recipe and comparing ingredients to a bottle of barbecue sauce we already had on hand.  A few ingredients were missing, and there were a few listed in the recipe that the prepared bottle didn't have.  So I started experimenting, and I now have a decent barbecue sauce.  Fernando really likes it, which is key.  Plus we're saving money!

Here is my unique recipe, for you to experiment with!


Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
6-oz. can tomato paste
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons molasses (I use blackstrap)
1/4 cup honey (may use less if using brown sugar which is sweeter than sucanat)
1/4 cup water
4 teaspoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
fresh black pepper to taste (I use several cranks of my pepper mill)
couple dashes hot pepper sauce (optional)

Measure all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.  (How easy is that??)



I use a funnel to pour the barbecue sauce into a glass jar.



The sauce is nice and thick, but pourable. We had it on our chicken the other day, and oh, yum!



I'll say it again...

~~ BBQ = MMG!! ~~



Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

4 comments:

  1. Yum Yum Yum!!! Thanks so much for sharing this!

    Love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! I will have to try to make it with roasted sweet pepper paste instead of tomato paste b/c of allergy. Thank you soooooooo much for sharing this with us. I am feeling inspired! [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! This made me want to be busy in the kitchen today. Thanks, Christine.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a recipe worth remembering. Thanks for sharing it.

    Jaimie is doing a little better of late, so we are back to checking out blogs of friends. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)