The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, August 26, 2011

Pesto? P-R-E-S-T-O!!

Plans4You

"There is rhythm to being a farmgirl.
It is the rhythm of working hard when there is work to be done.
It is the rhythm of finding joy in the "doing" of the work.
It is also the rhythm of slowing down to enjoy each moment."
Rene Groom

I'm linking up with Lori's Friday Farm Girls @ Heart today.




Every Thursday afternoon, I drive over to our farmers market to purchase my eggs and meat (whatever I can afford that week) from our farmers, Eric and Samantha.  Sometimes I browse the other vendors--there are only about 20 there--to see what others are selling.  Right next to our farmers is the Presto Pesto booth.  When my guys are with me, they try the samples and tell me they like it.  Hmmm...

In my vegetable garden, I have out-of-control basil (it's a happy plant this year!).  I had bought pistachio nutmeats earlier in the year for some recipe I never tried.  I always have olive oil and Romano cheese.  And this week, I had a recipe from Lori and a recipe I found online here, which is a pretty fun website to explore if you like to cook.

I combined the two recipes, and ended up making pesto two different times.  I believe I've perfected the recipe to our family's tastes, and I post it here for your enjoyment.  Oh--and we added some chopped tomato to it, yum yum.


Christine's Pesto

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts (I used pistachios)
small clove garlic, minced (you can leave this out if you like--I used a small clove)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly grated Romano cheese (can use Parmesan or Parmesan-Reggiano)
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor.  (You may pulse the nuts first a few times before adding the basil.)  Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.  Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on.  Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.  Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  (I added the salt/pepper in with the cheese.)


Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, or spread over toasted baguette slices.  We even spread it on our pizza!



But the ultimate summer meal with our pesto was the below:  A BLT wrap with fresh iced tea on the side...


  • Bacon from our farmer
  • Homemade whole-wheat tortillas
  • Organic lettuce (from the store...)
  • Homemade mayonnaise (recipe to come soon, perhaps!)
  • Garden tomatoes with my new pesto

Ahh, a sampling of some of the delights of summer, all on my dinner plate!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY. I really want to make the BLT wrap soon. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes with us. Last year I had abundance of basil this year no so much. ((sigh)) Hubby gave them a good feed last night and hopefully that will make them thrive better. I have only got enough to use fresh and hope to freeze some before the season is done.

    Thank you so much for your sweet encouraging words. I needed a boost. ((HUGS))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, one of my FAVORITE uses for pesto is as a topping for grilled salmon...spelled Y-U-M-M-M-M-M!!! You can also put it on grilled chicken breasts. AFter you've flipped the meat for the last time, spread a generous coating of pesto on top and let it get nice and warm, and even a little toasted on there, kind of like the final slathering of BBQ sauce. Delicious!

    Love you,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)