The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tea Talk -- By His Grace



Welcome to my home for Ruth's Tea Talk!
Sit and share a cup of tea with me as we encourage each other in the Lord.
To participate, click on Ruth's button above.



I'm having...a cup of Irish Breakfast Tea in my Gibson china cup.  I'm sitting in my rocking chair on my front porch, gazing at my garden and watching the cars pass by.  Everyone is going to work, and although I know my own work awaits just inside the front door, I have these quiet moments to reflect and gather my thoughts.

My front porch

I'm feeling...just dandy!

On my mind...is helping my two college-bound students stay on track as far as getting the books they need (either to rent or to purchase), and helping them coordinate their schedules so they can prepare to drive together to the college campus every day.  One has classes all morning, and the other has only one or two, so one of them needs to prepare for staying on campus and studying/eating/?? while the other is in class.

I've also lost my organizer/planner, affectionately known as "My Brain."  We're pretty sure I left it at church, and since we're renting a public school building for the summer, I'm hoping that it will be in the auditorium where I left it.  The janitor said that we're the only people who use it throughout the summer, so I'm praying the room remains untouched.  I've been a little lost this week without all my written-down thoughts!

I leave you with...Scripture that has touched my life this week.  Here are some snippets from Matthew 1 (bear with me):

...Judah was the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar...
...Salmon was the father of Boaz by Rahab...
...Boaz was the father of Obed by Ruth...
...David was the father of Solomon by Bathsheba who had been the wife of Uriah...
...Joseph the husband of Mary, by whom Jesus was born, who is called the Messiah.
Matthew 1:3, 5, 6, 16 NASB

I would not choose to study genealogies or some of the lists in the Old Testament.  But we just heard Matthew 1 in our family devotions, and the genealogy of Jesus is recorded there.  Interestingly, five women are mentioned in this genealogy.  Women's names were not typically recorded in those times, so the Lord wanted these women listed for a reason.

  • Tamar was a Canaanite woman who played the harlot and got pregnant by Judah.
  • Rahab was a Gentile and a prostitute.
  • Ruth was a Moabite woman and a worshiper of idols.
  • Bathsheba committed adultery with David.
  • Mary bore the stigma of pregnancy outside of wedlock.

I love what my husband's Bible commentary says about these women:

Each of these women is an object lesson about the workings of divine grace.

Just a simple sentence, but filled with grace, infinite and glorious!  These women were far off from the Lord, and He brought them near, by His grace.  I was just as guilty as they, cut off from His kingdom.  But the Lord brought me near, and I am His.  By His grace.  What a comforting, blessed thought as I begin my day today.


Heliopsis, and my front porch beyond


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

4 comments:

  1. I joyed tea time with you. I loved the insight of the woman the Lord used to bring us his son to us on earth. Our Lord is soooooooo full of love and grace, PTL.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, what a lovely white teacup you have there! And I so love your photos. Beautiful insights on the lives of those women and I love the phrase "the workings of divine grace", very encouraging.

    Thanks for sharing tea time with me, Christine. It's one thing I look forward to each week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully shared, my good friend! Thank you so much! Love the photos... :-)

    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Flowers!!! Wonderful visit!! Thank you!! Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)