The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Monday, August 10, 2015

Late July in My Garden

Late July, and time to pick some more tomatoes!  They produced late this year, but I was thankful for whatever I could get.


Water drops on sage.

My Garden Peach tomato plants--both of them--produced prolifically, and I have enjoyed searching for the fuzzy yellow heirloom tomatoes on the plants!  I want to try making yellow tomato salsa this year, using only these delicious tomatoes.


After picking tomatoes and waering everything, I took my deck shot.  You can tell it's morning, because the sun cast my shadow onto the strawberry plants.  :)


Time for a bug break.  One of the guys alerted me to the presence of this cicada on our front walk.


The next day, I tackled the garlic.  It had been ready before we left for vacation, but I didn't have any time.  It's hard on my back, to be on my hands and knees digging this stuff up, but boy, is it worth it!  I usually have garlic to last me an entire year.  I couldn't wait to see what this year's crop would look like.



One section dug up.

Fernando lent his assistance in the middle bed, digging things up with a shovel and helping me sift through the dirt for the fragrant bulbs hidden inside.

Two sections dug up.

Time for a tomato break.  I picked a few more, and went over to my "dirt pile" in my special place to see what the few plants my friend Becki had given me were doing.  I harvested several jalapenos and two tomatoes, and left one green pepper on the vine to grow some more.


Then it was back to the garlic bed, where I finished off the year's harvest.  Whew!




All the garlic was laid out in the sun to be cured!  What a great feeling.  As I sit here typing and looking at the picture, I notice that I need new mulch in my walkways...  A gardener's work is never done, it seems, until winter finally covers the beds with a blanket of snow and all is forgotten until spring's melt.


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)