The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, August 15, 2014

Processing Parsley for Freezer Storage

I planted three parsley plants in my garden this year, and they love their location, the soil, everything!  They're monster plants, and I kept forgetting to go out there in my garden and snip it for my lunchtime salads.  I finally did a major harvest at the end of July.


Below is the "after harvest" picture, since I didn't get my camera out beforehand.  :)


Huge colander of parsley, and a few rhubarb stalks.

I plucked a few stalks of rhubarb for making muffins (which were a hit at our weekly church fellowship meal), and brought them in with the parsley.


I knew I wouldn't be able to process the parsley this day, so I washed it in cool water and put it all in various vases and Mason jars for a few days.


I processed it a few days later.  :)

Since I already washed it, I simply removed a stalk or two at a time, then removed the leaves until I had a nice pile of leaves on my cutting board.  I hand-chopped the pile of parsley to my liking (I chop it more coarsely, but feel free to chop as finely as you like).  You can also use a stick blender with the herb cup attachment.  I find that hand-chopping yields the best results, since my knife blade is kept very sharp.


After I chop the pile, I put the chopped parsley in a freezer container.  Then I make another pile of parsley leaves, and chop it.


On and on it goes until all my parsley is chopped and in the container.



I put the lid on, label the box, and put it in the freezer.  The parsley stays very nicely for several months; I use it in soups, stews, on salads, etc.  Parsley is so good for you--it's nature's detox herb!  Have fun storing your garden parsley!!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)