The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It's Not All Academics


A few weeks ago, a short conversation was hopping around my circle of blog friends.  We all pretty much agreed that we don't post much about our homeschool.  For me, this blog contains the chronicles of our lives together as a family, a written heritage, if you will, of our family's life, including everyday life, special events, meals shared, recipes we've enjoyed, stories of joy and sadness.

I think the reason that I don't post much about our homeschool is that it is such an integrated part of our lives.  It's just what we do.  The school subjects are there every day, and they get done.  I don't really want to blog about what Thomas studied in history today, or about the essay paper Danny has to write for English Composition.  I guess that school is such a seamless part of our day and our lives that it doesn't seem important enough, or momentous enough, to blog about.  Don't get me wrong--it's important!  But it is as natural as someone going to work each day, or even as someone going to an actual school building each day.  It's just what we do.


Homeschool life is everyday life.  It is a lifestyle dedicated to these goals, in this order:

  • Discipling our sons in His Word, and living out our lives with Him before them, that they would in turn become followers of Christ.
  • Living our lives together, working on character training, building each other up in Christ--as iron sharpens iron
  • Fostering a love of learning, and of books, and of curiosity
  • Taking care of academics


Christ is the Preeminent One in our lives and in our home.  Academics are secondary.  This is the way it is.

I do have lots of images of the boys studying, doing school, and participating in activities--especially science experiments.  And every now and then, I'll post an image, or write a post, about what we're doing.  This post, then, serves as proof that we really do cover the academics!


Great are the works of the LORD;
They are studied by all who delight in them.
Psalm 111:2 nasb

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
christine anne photography

1 comment:

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)