The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, March 18, 2011

Downtown Date Day

Fernando took a vacation day Thursday.  What a sweetheart, and so thoughtful toward his dear wife who is terrified at the thought of driving to downtown Chicago by herself.  No, I'm not really terrified.  Just terribly nervous.

Jacob wanted to visit the federal courthouse in Chicago to sit in on a criminal trial, and take notes for a project for one of his college criminal justice classes.  So, Fernando and I drove him downtown to the federal building on Dearborn Street and dropped him off.  Literally.  Fernando simply pulled over, and Jacob scooted out with his phone, notebook, pencils, and $20 for lunch.  And we drove off.  Sigh.  Jacob is becoming quite the young man.

Since Jacob was going to be occupied for several hours, we had those hours FREE, so we headed out to find a parking garage (another interesting experience).

 View from the roof of the parking garage

From there, our first stop was to visit the Chicago Cultural Center to have a look at the Vivian Maier exhibit.  It was interesting to read her unique and mysterious story, and to see her photos from the 1950s and 60s, especially the ones from New York and Chicago.  I took one quick shot.

Vivian Maier's cameras and other personal items

Since we were so close, we walked on over to Millenium Park to see The Bean.  Can you see it in the image below?  This is not a photo of the cityscape; it is the reflection of the cityscape in The Bean!

The Bean, with the reflection of the Chicago skyline

For those who have never visited Chicago, the next few images give you a better view of what the Bean looks like.


I realized just now that I never did get a side photo of the Bean, which looks like, well, a big ol' kidney bean.  It was fun hanging around snapping photos and watching people.  What was just as nice was enjoying the 60-degree temperatures for the first time this year!  At one point, I stuck my telephoto lens on and captured this little guy having fun.

A boy and his reflection

And I actually took a good self-portrait!  It took me only four or five tries.  This is one of the best ones I've done, too.  Okay, I've tried to do it only twice.  I'm so proud of myself.  *cheeky grin*

Dear hubby and I

After a while, we walked across the street to Caribou Coffee, where Fernando was able to get some much-needed coffee and a snack to tide him over until lunchtime.


We walked around a bit, I took some shots of interesting buildings, we had lunch--and a long chat session--at Panera, we walked around some more, then picked up Jacob and drove home for a simple dinner started by Danny.  All in all, a very nice day.

An old building

The clock at the Chase Building plaza

My dearie at the plaza

Tile mural at the plaza

Looking down the street from the Berghoff Restaurant

You can see Fernando in the lower left corner.  He led the way back to the parking garage, while Jacob walked with me and told me all about some gang leader's criminal trial.  I'm so glad Fernando remembered where we parked.

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
christine anne photography

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Soto,

    That looks like a REALLY neat trip! Don't you love how usually by the time you get there, there's no parking til you get to like the fifth story of the parking garage ;) I used to love it when we had to go up all those stories when we would go to Cubs games :) I love the clock picture and the bean pictures too! It's funny how it blends in with the sky because of the reflection ... at fist I couldn't find it and then I was like "oh there it is!"

    Fun post... I really enjoyed the photography in it!

    ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Christine. I've seen a lot of pictures of The Bea... ahem... Cloud Gate, and I have to say that the first one you posted is the most creative angle I've seen. Tricky! Good job masking the lines against the skyline and through the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela, Thank you! And I had no idea that it was called the Cloud Gate. Ahem. Please forgive me; I'm just a lowly suburbanite...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to Chicago and it was wonderful seeing all your amazing photos! I had never heard of the bean and that was amazing, too! I'm like you...I'd rather visit the "big city" with someone else. Makes it more fun and less scary. :) Your photography is just wonderful and I always love seeing them. You have a gift!!

    God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love all your pics ~ seeing life through your eyes and camera lens!

    have a great week, God bless~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)