The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Monday, May 4, 2015

New Every Morning, Part Eight

Read previous segments here:

The Beginning
The Injury
The Furnace
The Waiting
Employment
The House
The Phone Call

The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
For His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23 NASB

The Truck


Well, here we are at the beginning of May, spring is (finally) in the air (and the trees), and we're feeling a little curious.  Curious about what exactly we're supposed to be doing.  But first, let me go back and tell you about March.  And the truck.

After securing our permanent mortgage modification, we were again open to what employment the Lord wanted to bring to us.  Fernando made a few moves to start up a new business--filing paperwork to create an LLC in Illinois, purchasing more needed equipment, organizing thoughts for a website--even scheduling an appointment with an accounting firm since we had tons of questions.

By the end of February, Fernando and I agreed that he needed to start making phone calls to test the waters, to see if anyone was interested in hiring him.  One call yielded a result:  a month of work with Arctek, driving and operating their satellite truck.  This was the third SNG truck company Fernando would work with, and we thought maybe this was where the Lord was leading.  Arctek uses their truck operators heavily for one month, then gives them the next month off.  That would leave Fernando plenty of time to start his own business, repairing, installing, and training others on amplifiers in his off months.  We thought it would be an ideal situation--operate truck for a month, repair amplifiers the next.  Nice steady income if the repair side was slow.  I like feeling secure, and that felt secure to me.


Fernando picked up the Arctek truck in early March, and boy did he go right to work, one job after another, on and off throughout the entire month.


In the middle of all that we were finally able to meet with the accounting firm, after Fernando received all the paperwork for his LLC from the attorney.  He was officially Soto Satellite Repair & Services, LLC.  That felt pretty special.


Fernando kept working all of March for Arctek, gaining experience, meeting new people, solving problems, and uplinking satellite feeds.


I wouldn't even know where to begin if I sat down in that chair (above)!  Fernando wasn't intimidated at all, being familiar with the equipment and electronics inside.  I took these pictures while he checked out the satellite and made sure everything was ready before hitting the road to the next job.



It was a privilege to watch him do his work, right there in our driveway!  As much as I've loved having him home a lot, being able to interact with him on a mostly constant basis, it was fulfilling to see him back out of the driveway and drive off down the street toward the next job.


Fernando submitted official Soto Satellite invoices to Arctek for the month's work, and I was tickled to deposit checks made out to his company--how exciting!

The whole month of April, I had the thought in the back of my mind about when/if Arctek would hire him back for the month of May, or even offer him permanent employment.  By the end of April, I found it harder and harder to rest easy and trust the Lord.  We thought this was it--a regular job, with the opportunity to bring in extra income during the off months.  I wondered why the Lord wasn't cooperating with what I thought was an ideal situation.  Okay, that last sentence was tongue-in-cheek, really.  I did wonder, though, what the Lord's plan was, because it definitely wasn't what we saw in front of us.

Spring at The Morton Arboretum.

I was reminded once again that we aren't in control.  Just now, Fernando found out that the Arctek truck operator working the truck for April was allowed to keep it an extra month to get a little more income.  There would be no truck for us in May, and no income from that source.

I was reminded once again that the Lord has His own plans, and we as His children must follow Him.  We needed to trust.  I don't know about you, but this is one of the hardest things to do.  And I don't know why that is, because He is completely trustworthy, all the time.

Just as His mercies are new every morning, He asks me every morning, Do you trust Me for today?  I'm not asking for tomorrow.  Just today.  Can you do that?  My answer is yes.  I can do that.  Just for today.  Tomorrow is a new day, and today, I trust Him.

Update:  Part Nine of our journey has now been published!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)