The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Australian Damper


This is one of those quick recipes for when you need a side dish to go with dinner, and you want something carb-y.  Let's face it, you want something bread-y.  This will fit the bill nicely.

I received this recipe from an online friend from Australia.  I was part of an email group (do they even use those anymore??) before Facebook exploded and everyone connected over there.  Most of us ladies were Americans, but there were a few from around the globe and this lady was one of them.  She shared this recipe with us, and I tried it once, then promptly added it to my recipe book.

Double recipe of damper awaiting the oven.

I believe this was originally made in the Outback, over a campfire.  How cool is that?  We love having it with eggs in the morning, or when we have breakfast at dinner.  Yum.


Here's the recipe!

Australian Damper
Yield:  One loaf

3 cups flour (I use freshly-ground whole wheat)
3 heaped teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/4 cup water (more if needed)

Mix dry flour and baking powder; cut in butter.  Make a well in the center of mixture; add water.  Mix with a knife in a cutting motion.  Tip from bowl and knead on a floured surface until it has a smooth, firm consistency.  Flatten out into an oven shape, about 1 1/4" thick.  Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve hot.


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)