The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, September 30, 2011

Goin' Bananas!

Plans4You

"There is rhythm to being a farmgirl.
It is the rhythm of working hard when there is work to be done.
It is the rhythm of finding joy in the "doing" of the work.
It is also the rhythm of slowing down to enjoy each moment."
Rene Groom


I promise the below story has more to do with bananas than with Jacob's Bible:

Jacob left his Bible at church a week ago.  A family picked it up and called us, letting us know they had brought it home.  They live pretty far away, so we were wondering how to get his Bible back.  The mom (Mom #1) ended up having an appointment near the area, but we were gone for the evening.  She decided to drop off Jacob's Bible with another mutual friend and church family member (Mom #2), and that lovely lady dropped off his Bible at our home for us.  In addition to Jacob's Bible, Mom #1 blessed Mom #2 and us with a whole lot of "going" bananas.  So when we arrived home that evening, Jacob's Bible and a plastic bag of very ripe bananas were sitting on our front porch.


I knew we wouldn't use all the bananas before they went bad.  Also, I had very little time for baking this week, so I couldn't even make huge batches of banana bread (my favorite).  I had heard that bananas freeze well, so that is what I decided to do.


I peeled the bananas and cut them in half, mostly because a few of the bananas were really bad and I threw out portions of certain bananas.  I laid halves of bananas together on Glad Press 'N Seal, since I still have some left and it seals things up nicely.



I pressed the plastic around each banana section, squeezing out as much air as I could.


After each section was sealed, I placed them all into a Tupperware container, which went into our freezer.


It's not a whole lot of bananas, but they'll do for smoothies and banana bread.  We kept some of the better bananas out and made banana blueberry smoothies for the guys.  I personally can't wait for banana bread.  It is one of the very few ways I'll eat a banana; I do not like them raw in any way, shape, or form.  'Tis true!  I love love love banana bread, and I have a banana cake recipe that is out of this world.  I love banana pancakes and banana muffins, too.  But I can't stomach just peeling a banana and eating it!  I'm so glad some of these bananas are earmarked for baking!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm...well, I cannot fathom anyone NOT liking a banana, but you certainly did a great job of rescuing these from the trash can! Hint...I usually mash them first, measure out two cups, and bag those two cups of mashed 'naners...recipe ready!

    Frozen bananas (not over ripe) become fabulous dairy-free "soft serve" ice cream when run around in a food processor (I use my juicer without the blades, just the "blank" so it simply presses hard rather than "masticating" like it does when I'm making juice).

    One of my favorite Carribean side dishes is to split a banana lengthwise, then cut those two in half across the short way. Then I saute' them in butter until they're getting caramel-y, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and let that get toasty on them...oh, yum!

    There...much to do with bananas! Thanks for your post!
    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay--the fried bananas sound good. Actually, didn't I try those at Capt. Hiram's? Those were yummy--I think they were part of Nathan's meal. Mmm. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to try that!

    Love,
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh nice you will have wonderful smells coming out of your kitchen when you get baking with them! I love love love banana bread. Aren't all these wonderful ways putting up food for the winter wonderful? [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    PS: I look forward to hearing about your grape jam. [o=

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)