The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, September 23, 2011

Some "Sage" Advice

Plans4You

"There is rhythm to being a farmgirl.
It is the rhythm of working hard when there is work to be done.
It is the rhythm of finding joy in the "doing" of the work.
It is also the rhythm of slowing down to enjoy each moment."
Rene Groom



Thanks to Mary's blog and a few other websites, I decided to try drying some herbs.  I had never harvested the sage in my garden before, and just let the little plant grow each year.  But the leaves were so pretty this year, I figured it would be a good first attempt at drying.

Here is a nice pile of sage, all clean and dry and ready for processing.


All I needed was some string to tie the sage in little bundles.  I may have made the bundles too large, but again, this was my first attempt.  I still have a ton of herbs to harvest in my garden!


Fernando, dear heart, hung some long, thin wood pieces in our basement "bomb shelter and food storage" area.  I tied the sage bundles to them.


A few websites instructed me to place the bundled herbs in brown paper bags, and a few gave me permission to simply hang the herbs upside down to dry.  I don't have a lot of space for hanging, so I opted for simply hanging them.  Time will tell if this method really works--sources claim it takes about two weeks to fully dry herbs.  I also learned that high-moisture herbs such as basil do not dry well, so I went ahead this week and started processing my prolific basil for freezer storage.


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

2 comments:

  1. I saw about making "rubbed sage" too...it's on one of my "West Ladies" videos, "The Art of Herbs." So once they're dry, you can look at it here if you want to :-) Or, easier yet, just google it :-) It looked and sounded lovely!

    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh they look soooooooooo pretty and I am sure the smell even BETTER. You are going to be sooooo happy when Thanksgiving comes and you can use your "own" sage on the turkey. [o= I think the only reason that some recommend the bags is to keep the dust off. If you are only hanging it for a couple of weeks I wouldn't worry about that. [o=

    I just love hearing about what you are doing. And yes, I think freezing is the best thing for basil.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)