The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tea Talk -- Tranquil and Quiet


Welcome to my home for Ruth's Tea Talk!
Sit and share a cup of tea with me as we encourage each other in the Lord.
To participate, click on Ruth's button above.


Totally just for fun--the driver of this vehicle stopped at our garage sale a few weeks ago!


I'm having...black currant rooibos, bought at our farmers market from the Spice Merchant and Tea Room, in my Gibson china teacup.  Alas, I broke my Portmeirion china mug from our Vero Beach trip, so it is no more.  Why do we get emotionally attached to things?  [Well, it's gone, and enough of that, now, Christine.]


I'm feeling...better and rested after suffering stomach distress of some sort late through the night Monday, then on Tuesday.  I did have a wonderful time with Fernando on Monday; he took me out to eat for our 24th anniversary!  We had a great time together, lots of conversation as usual, and some really delicious food at Francesca's at the Promenade.  Maybe that tummy thing was something I ate, but everything was mmm, mmm, good!

On my mind...is getting some good walking shoes for winter.  I'm laughing that this is what is actually on my mind.  But I have two pairs of two-year-old shoes that make my feet hurt if I walk for any length of time.  Now that the weather has decided it was autumn, my feet have been cold.  Even with the cold, though, I haven't wanted to wear either socks or shoes!  I've been wearing ergonomic flip-flops outside, and after freezing at Danny's college Wednesday morning, I decided that good new shoes were more of a necessity than simply a desire.  Praise the Lord that our garage sale proceeds and budget money are enough to purchase a quality pair.  Soon I'll have happy feet!

I leave you with...I always try to share a passage of Scripture that has been meaningful to me recently.  Today, though, I'd like to first share a quote I read in a book I'm reading (in the photo above) called Organized Simplicity.  The quote begins the chapter regarding money being a tool, and goes like this:

There is no dignity quite so impressive,
and no independence so important,
as living within your means.

Calvin Coolidge

Though this quote speaks to finances, it also speaks to other areas of my life in which I'm "overspending:"  time, and accumulation of stuff.  Am I booking so much into my calendar that I have no time for family, friendships, or even rest?  Have I been accumulating so many things--whether physical stuff or worry/cares--that meaningful time with the Lord is crowded out with concern for other things, or taking care of/cleaning/maintaining my stuff?  These are questions I've been using to check the simplicity (or lack of) of our family's lifestyle.  Sure, we homeschool.  Sure, we're together a lot.  Sure, we've cultivated family and other relationships.  But recently, busy schedules and a realization of just how much stuff we have actually amassed has me questioning--can we simplify?  I think we can.  This book has helped so far.  :)

Now for the appropriate Scripture.  :)  This Scripture references prayer for all men, and those in authority, so that...

...so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life
in all godliness and dignity.
1 Timothy 2:2b NASB


That seems to fit with a life of simplicity, doesn't it?  I'm not only longing for it, I'm beginning to plan and work for it, too.  I'm getting excited about it.  :)


Detail of flower at my friend Patsy's home


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

6 comments:

  1. Good morning Christine. So good to share our thoughts with each other. That is a humdinger of a car, for sure. Like you I am trying to live a more simple life and recognize the goodness of God everywhere. Blessings.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 24th Anniversary! And I am also glad you are feeling better and getting happy warm feet.

    I know what you mean by needing to simplify in sooooooo many ways. I have been working at weeding out things in my life but you have to stay on guard continually. I have seen that book before and I am now going to put it high on my to get book list. Thanks for the reminder.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Christine, as always.
    Thanks for sharing all those photos and beautiful thoughts. I've also been thinking about simplifying my life...I'm longing for some fresh beginning. I don't know why. I need to seek what God is saying to me these days.
    Happy anniversary to you and your dh. More blessing to your marriage and family life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to get jealous, Christine, when I saw that fancy white car!! But, alas, it's not yours. Nor mine... too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your quote too! Many of you ladies had such great quotes this week!

    I used to love a little tin that had tiny black currant candies in it...I'm sure the tea is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine! I missed tea yesterday, but wanted to stop by anyway :-)

    Ohhhh, soooooo sorry about the demise of the Vero Beach teacup! Sad sad sad! Hmmmm...guess we'll just have to go back some time. ;-)

    Simplicity...well worth working toward. Love it.

    Love you!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)