The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Monday, January 6, 2014

Rice and Walnut Loaf ~ Gluten Free

The Chicken Chick
For the first time, I'm linking up to the Clever Chicks Blog Hop.  Click on the orange flower linky to the right to go to their blog and check it out!


We're not a gluten-free family, but this recipe was amazing.  Amazing due to the fact that it's waaaay outside the realm of the types of food my five guys eat--and they all ate it.  And liked it.  I cut the salt a bit because in my opinion, it was a little too salty.  But otherwise, this was a great dish to make with ingredients I typically have in my pantry.  And for those who care, it is vegetarian (but not dairy-free) and gluten-free as well!

This was so very easy to put together!  Mix it all up, set it in the oven, and let it bake!  Serve it with a nice salad, or a cooked veggie on the side, and it makes a wonderful meal.  Trust me, if five guys like it, it can't be bad!



A recipe for cashew gravy accompanied this dish; click here if you want the gravy recipe.  I didn't have cashew butter so declined to make it; instead, I substituted a white/cream sauce which was delicious.

Rice and Walnut Loaf with simple white sauce.  Yum!


Rice and Walnut Loaf -- from Penzeys Spices
View the original recipe here.

1 1/4 cups cooked short grain brown rice (I used regular grain, organic basmati brown)
1/4 cup walnuts, roasted and chopped
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, lightly roasted
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced celery
6 eggs, beaten (I use eggs from my local farmer--only the best!)
1 TB. Dijon-style mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper (this means several cranks on the pepper mill, not a full 1/2 teaspoon!)
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage (I used the sage I processed from my garden!)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Put in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Bake until lightly browned and pulling away from the sides a bit, 60-90 minutes.

Prep. time: 10 minutes plus rice-cooking time
Cooking time: 60-90 minutes
Serves: 8

Nutritional Information:
Servings 8
Serving size:  1 slice (82g)
Calories:  210
Calories from fat:  110
Total fat:  12
Cholesterol:  175mg
Sodium:  490mg
Carbohydrates:  14g
Dietary fiber: 1g
Sugars:  1g
Protein: 11g





Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

6 comments:

  1. It sounds good, my family would probably like it as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's bitterly cold in my area, I'll be making chicken soup later today. I'm a new follower I found your photography blog through JoAnn and this blog from your photography blog. I home school too. Take care, Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Heather! We're also at -18 degrees today! I plan on baking bread this afternoon to heat up the kitchen and myself, too! Chicken soup sounds wonderful on a day like today!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you will join us again next week!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kathy! I was happy to find your blog and to have something to contribute tot he blog hop. Have a beautiful day!!

      Christine

      Delete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)