The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Monday, July 2, 2012

Raw Kale and Avocado Salad

I can't believe how many food photos I've taken over the past few months.  I'm so glad I have an outlet to showcase them and post recipes.  Before long, I'll end up with an online cookbook!  Here's a perfect recipe for summer.


Raw Kale and Avocado Salad

1 small head kale, chopped (discard stems)
1-2 tablespoons evoo (extra-virgin olive oil)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 avocado, diced
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced (I use purple onion)
juice of half a lemon
optional toppings:  pine nuts, raisins, hempseed nuts, sesame seeds...

Since you'll be using your hands to mix up this salad, it's a good idea to have all the ingredients measured out and prepared before you begin.

Place chopped kale in large bowl; sprinkle with evoo and hand toss until thoroughly mixed.  I like to scrunch a little and get my hands really dirty as I do this.  Sprinkle sea salt over kale; hand toss again.  Add diced avocado to kale and hand toss again.  Add tomatoes and onion; mix.  Sprinkle lemon juice over kale mixture; mix.  Add any additional toppings and mix.

Pine nuts grace this particular batch of salad

This is such a great salad to have as a lunch, or even as a light dinner during the summer months.  This is one of my favorite "unusual" salads to prepare.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

New photo below!!  I added chopped cooked chicken to this salad for a meal in itself.  It was incredibly delicious!  I also used baby kale, since Costco had a huge bag of organic baby kale available.  Super-yummy!!



Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. S! This recipe has captured my interest...I definitely look forward to experiencing it. =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)