The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Grilled Romaine with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Yes, you read that post title correctly:  grilled lettuce.  Really.  The produce lady at the farmers market told me to try it.  I was skeptical, as was my friend Lori.   But after the meal, we both agreed that it was very tasty.  It was so easy and quick to prepare, and since Fernando is the griller in our family, all I had to do was cut and drizzle.  The picture-taking part of making this side dish was the most time-consuming part.  :)




Grilled Romaine with Balsamic Vinaigrette

one nice, big head of Romaine lettuce
evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
balsamic vinaigrette

Remove any bad leaves from the head of Romaine and rinse thoroughly.  Shake out and allow to dry.  Slice Romaine head in half lengthwise.  Drizzle a little evoo over both sides of each half.  Or, use a pastry brush and brush the oil on.  To grill:  When my husband finished grilling burgers, he placed the halves on the grill, and grilled the halves for about two minutes on each side.  So basically, grill at whatever temperature you've been using.  Place the halves cut side up on a serving platter and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette.  I sliced some farmers market tomatoes and placed them on the platter with the lettuce.  Yum.


You simply cut this with a knife and eat it.  It's a great way to have a "salad" presented in a different way.  The outer leaves are wilted and warm, but it's still crunchy.  It was great served with the tomatoes.  Even the leftovers--what little there was--were great cold when I ate them the next day.  :)





Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)