The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tea Talk -- Inscrutable


Welcome to my home for Ruth's Tea Talk!
Sit and share a cup of tea with me as we encourage each other in the Lord.
To participate, click on Ruth's button above.



I'm having...a cup of my regular tea in Fernando's Stone Mountain Park coffee mug.  He came down into the kitchen, saw his mug with my tea in it, and exclaimed, "Hey....!!!"  We stuck our tongues out at each other, laughed, and that was that.  ;)


Fernando bought the mug during our weeklong visit with the T. family in Georgia several years ago.  He had wanted to visit Stone Mountain, so our two families went together.  It was the very end of December, so the park was almost empty.  The carving in the mountain was awe-inspiring, thus inspiring Fernando's gift shop purchase.  It's a large mug, and you know how I like to have a nice, big, hot, steaming mug of tea every morning!

I'm feeling...my achy back is much better (thank You, Lord!).  Why does it seem that as I age, this little section of "Tea Talk" becomes about my aches and pains?  I don't really want to start talking about backs and muscles and bunions...  So--I'm feeling FINE, rested, and hoping to find some energy for my day!

On my mind...oh, my to-do list, you know, is always there.  This week, I'm focusing our June 2012 state homeschool convention.  As ICHE's coordinator for special and struggling learners, for each year's convention I organize speakers to address the needs of families who are (or who are considering) home educating their special and/or struggling learners.

I leave you with...yep, a passage of Scripture.  I just love Ruth's Tea Talk time!  I usually pull out my Bible and look up a verse that I've recently read, or that our family has covered during devotions.  I love digging deep--remember the word study in my last Tea Talk post?--to find the meaning of words, subtle nuances, and further insight into the Lord's character.  So here is this week's passage, which begins a familiar section of Scripture:


Do you not know?  Have you not heard?
The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of
the ends of the earth
Does not become weary or tired.
His understanding is inscrutable.
He gives strength to the weary,
And to him who lacks might He increases power.
Isaiah 40:28-29 NASB


[Side note:  The rest of the passage--and the familiar part--continues, "...those who wait for the LORD will gain new (renew their) strength..."]

I discovered that the word inscrutable is used only once in Scripture--right in this passage.  It is a compound word, consisting of two Hebrew words: 

  • from 369--a primary root:  nothing, nought
  • and 2714--a searching, a thing searched out

The compound word then becomes "nothing searched out."  The idea is that we can't even begin to search out or examine His understanding.  We can't even put a dent in trying to gain His understanding!  We think we know so much; we think we're so wise!  But His understanding is so much more.  He just laughs at what we think is lofty knowledge.  Far from making me feel insignificant, this passage helps me to realize that the Lord, with His unsearchable knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, gives me strength (power, ability, might) when I am weary!

Autumn leaf (coral bells)


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

4 comments:

  1. That's a neat mug! I don't think I've seen it before ... I love the red-red leaf, how pretty! Coral bells are a fav of mine :-)

    Blessings to you on this busy day, my dear!
    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the word study - I didn't know the word "inscrutable" was in scripture.

    I love to learn more about Him.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your word study. I used it for my morning devotion here :) Now it made those verses more beautiful. Loved it!

    thank you for putting this post together for Tea Talk. I appreciate it.

    And, oh, I love that mug!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)