The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, October 1, 2010

FFG--Chilly Mornings and a Harvest Breakfast

This post has been updated to reflect corrections
in the recipe below!!!

Plans4You
Welcome to another Friday Farm Girls at Heart!  Visit Lori's blog (click on her FFG button at right) to find out what it's all about!

Sometimes I chuckle as I write my Farm Girl posts, as I have no desire to live on a farm, drive a tractor, or milk a cow.  But my passion is everything at home--gardening, crafts, creating delicious meals, even cleaning--so there is a little bit of farm girl in my heart!

Now that mornings are chillier, I'm thinking about harvest, and baking, and lovely kitchen aromas.  My friend Stacy posted a recipe for baked oatmeal, which she tweaked to her family's liking.  I have tweaked it to my own family's liking, in honor of the harvest season, and below you will find my version.  You can find her version here.


Breakfast preparation the night before

I love breakfast recipes which you can partially make the night before.  It shortens the morning prep time and breakfast can be ready in a jiffy.  If you follow a recipe for any of the following examples, make sure your cookbook is also out the night before and opened to the correct page:

  • Muffins--Mix the dry ingredients the night before.  Measure any wet ingredients into prep bowls, cover, and leave in fridge.  Set out muffin pan and line with cupcake papers.
  • French Toast--Set out griddle or frying pan, bowl for egg, fork, and flipper.  I also set out cinnamon, which I put in my egg mixture.  If bread is homemade, make sure it's sliced.
  • Pancakes--Mix the dry ingredients the night before, same as muffins.  Set out griddle, fork for mixing, and pancake flipper on the counter.  Set out measuring cups and spoons for wet ingredients.
  • Oatmeal--See below for the recipe! 


Autumn Harvest Baked Oatmeal

The night before, combine:
3 cups rolled oats
2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk + 2 T buttermilk, kefir, or yogurt)

Mix together and set aside until morning:
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ginger
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
dash nutmeg (I grate mine fresh)
dash cloves

In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees, and mix together in a bowl:
1 t vanilla
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 to 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin

To this mixture, add the oat mixture and the dry ingredients.  Pour into a buttered 11x7 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes.  Top with fruit, chopped nuts, ground flax seeds, warm milk, or drizzle with warm maple syrup.


Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
captured by Christine Anne