The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, September 11, 2015

Reflections on 50

Fifty is almost here.  Since my town is as old as I will be in a few days, I borrowed one of their celebratory signs down the street from home, and gave Fernando a photography lesson to capture the joy of a rather huge milestone.


It's funny how I feel 18 in my heart, though my body obviously doesn't cooperate with that much younger and invincible age.  I'm determined to have fun with this new stage of life, because it's either celebrate with enthusiasm or mope like Eeyore--and who wants to live the entire second half of her life like a gloomy donkey?  Not I.


I decided, unilaterally of course, that I deserved an entire birthday week.  So today, to start things off, since Fernando was free during the day, we parked on the side of the road near one of the "50" signs and had some fun.  It took just a little bit to decide that I didn't care what other people thought as they drove by looking at the crazy lady making weird faces in front of the big 50.  I decided it's time to stop caring what others think; that's not meant in the sense that I don't put others first--it's meant that I am going to live my life out as the Holy Spirit directs, without worrying about the judgment of others because it doesn't measure up to their personal standards.  For those of you who are thinking, Oh my goodness, she's wearing jeans! I say, You may not have the freedom to do so; I do.  And I love you in the Lord.


It wasn't until I turned 30 that I was comfortable with who I am.  I'm still trying to figure it out.  I don't fit the traditional female mold, I've tried to be that ideal woman, but now I'm just being me, quirky personality and all.  I will be a little crazy at times.  And I'll also be sweet and kind, because I have a tender heart toward others.


But, I'll also stick out my tongue at you--playfully, of course, because I'm having fun and I want you to have fun, too.


A personal photo shoot is hard work, involving teaching Fernando how to compose the image the way I want, then getting set up and hoping I look okay and he's focusing properly, and trying to hold my smile while he counts, oh so slowly, "One...  Two...  Three..." and finally the shutter snaps.  "Count faster, honey!"  But we got some great shots, I think. 

At the end of the day, the guys got me my favorite treat:  Ooey Gooey Concrete from Andy's.


I think I'll have a very special year.


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)