The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Monday, September 28, 2015

End of September Garden Harvest

My garden is still in harvest mode, this late in September!  When I checked on my tomato plants, I found this huge caterpillar...



It's a tobacco hornworm, and it will eat through tomatoes at a voracious rate.  Three tomatoes were a loss because of this little booger.  It's not so little, either--it's huge.  It also has some decent camouflage--I didn't realize I was taking pictures of its rear end until I looked it up and noticed the red spike on the back end.  Little stinker.  I broke off the branch it was hanging out on, and set it on the picnic table for a few extra pictures, then left that dude to fend for itself.  Not in my garden, bro!



The Alpine strawberries were still producing, as you can see below, and I got a nice handful for a morning bowl of oatmeal tomorrow.



Harvest:  a nice colander of Garden Peach (yellow) tomatoes, Early Girl tomatoes (still going strong!), a few plump jalapenos, a handful of Alpine strawberries, and a nice bunch of green beans.  You can see I'm going to have to work on harvesting the parsley, too, as it's surrounding my colander like a jungle!


I'm thankful that the Lord blessed this year's harvest.  We may not have much money while Fernando's business is struggling to get off the ground, but we have fresh food for now and for a little while, too.  There's nothing like real food from your own garden!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)