The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Monday, January 30, 2012

Potatoes and Leeks

I have taken a ton of food photos lately, so little by little, they'll be appearing on my blog in the form of recipe posts.  Won't that be fun?

I don't know where I got this recipe, but it's a good one and it's easy.  If you have potatoes and purchase some leeks, you don't need much else--just staple goods you should find in your kitchen.  Also keep in mind when looking at my photos that my quantities may seem different--I have been known to 1.5x, double, or even triple a recipe to feed all my men.  :)


Potato Leek Soup

3 leeks
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped shallots (I use regular onion)
2 tablespoons butter
1 quart chicken stock (or water with bouillon to taste)
4 potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup light cream (I used half 'n half)
2 tablespoons butter

Prepare the leeks by slicing the root end off just a little above the roots.  Thoroughly rinse with cold water and shake out as much water as you can.  Place them on a cutting board and thinly slice the leeks, removing a layer or two as you slice into the tougher, darker green area.



Sauté the leeks with the celery and shallots in the two tablespoons of butter about 5-7 minutes.  While they're cooking, peel and quarter the potatoes.



Once the leeks are soft, add the broth/water+bouillon, and the salt, and simmer 20-25 minutes.


Once the potatoes are tender, remove them to a bowl.  It's okay if you get leeks in with the potatoes, and it's okay if you leave some leeks in the broth.  Then, mash the potatoes with a potato masher, and return them to the broth and stir until incorporated.


Then, stir in the milk, cream, and remaining butter, reheating if needed.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Garnish with some parsley or croutons.  We like putting cheddar cheese on top of our individual bowls of soup.  This soup has a nice, potato-y flavor, and the onion taste is super mild.  If you (your kids) can't stand even the sight of an onion in any shape, take an immersion blender and blend everything together once you've completed the recipe directions.  (They'll never know.)


We tried making pumpernickel croutons (click here for recipe!), which turned out yummy.  They complemented the soup well.


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a yummy and easy soup. I'll have to try it soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks VERY good. I will have to make some when I get leeks again. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)