The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Focus on Others

This Christmas season, we are determined to be others-focused.  It's not an easy thing to do!  Everywhere I turn, I am assaulted with ads and enticements which pull me toward the "me-me-me" attitude usually fostered during this time of year.  But as I said, we are determined!

One way we put our focus on others' needs this Christmas was by adopting a needy family for Christmas.  (Thanks to my Dad's church for this special program!)  Our extended family and we chose a family who would not have received gifts this Christmas, and we bought items that both meet their needs and a few of their wants.

We had such fun running around in little groups at the store, trying to find the girls' section, and this or that toy, or those shoes.  Even the frustration of trying to find "size 9 long juniors' pants for girls" was part of the joy of the evening.

The gifts--along with boxes of wrapping paper and bows--made their way into our dining room.


This family had six children, so we wrote their names on pieces of paper to keep their gifts from getting mixed up.



 Then the wrapping party began...


[Thanks for the pic, Danny!]

 Halfway done...







We asked the cashier for gift receipts, just in case some of the clothing didn't fit.  My dad and mom decided to see the "longest gift receipt the cashier ever printed" (according to him)!


We were able to get all the gifts into the large trash bag that the church provided.  My dad took the bag of gifts to the church to drop off, and all the gift bags will soon be distributed to the families.  We are all happy.  :)


Scripture is filled with reminders to be others-oriented.  Put others' needs before your own.  And I think we did just a little of that this past week.


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Christine. It blessed my heart.
    Beautiful reminder of the verse I share on Tea Talk this week.

    "Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others."
    1 Corinthians 10:24

    In the photos, I see you all filled with the joy of giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! What a lovely way to honor the teachings of our Savior in this season of remembering His gift of sacrifice to us!

    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that, Christine! Such a beautiful reminder..others first!

    Blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)