The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, April 1, 2011

Seasoned with Love

It's time to post a recipe--finally!  I have been in a cooking funk for a few weeks, and haven't really wanted to be in the kitchen, except maybe to make tea.  (It's still really cold here!)


One day a few months ago, I ran out of taco seasoning, and I remembered a friend's recipe.  Using her recipe as a guide, I made my own taco seasoning.  I "exploded" the recipe to make a pint-jar full, and wrote down the amount of every item I used.  I'm happy to share that recipe with you.

Christine's Taco Seasoning Mix

2 T salt
4 T cornstarch
4 T cumin
4 T chili powder
2 T garlic powder
2 T oregano
1 1/2 t crushed red pepper (optional; I use it)

Mix everything together and store in a glass jar in a cool, dark place.  Use 3 T mix and 3/4 cup water for every pound of beef--brown and drain beef, add seasoning and water, bring to boil, and simmer 10-15 minutes.  Yum.


You know, it's so much more convenient to just run to the store and buy the ready-made taco seasoning mix--especially those huge containers from Costco that last for months.  But, I know that the homemade kind always tastes better, and is healthier with no additives or preservatives (I sound like a commercial!).

How many times have I given my children a conveniently quick answer, a token bit of attention, instead of the "homemade" real deal--a good chunk of time, quality conversation, interest in their thoughts and dreams?  I don't want to sprinkle them with a little superficial love or attention; I want to spend the extra time and lavish on them the genuine, no-artificial-anything seasoning of love!

See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us...!
1 John 3:1a NASB

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
christine anne photography

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe. We like to make our own to avoid the MSG, but I haven't found a recipe I really like yet. We'll give yours a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I have to give this one a try... I usually wait for a care package of taco seasoning to arrive from the states.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)