The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, February 4, 2011

FFG -- Simplicity and Purity

Plans4You

My sweet friend Lori hosts Friday Farm Girls @ Heart every week;
please click on her button to visit her blog
and to find out how you can participate!


Here on my suburban "farm," life buzzes all around me.  Not just within my home--which is more like a dull roar with five guys in it--but with the cars driving by, the busy main road just 50 yards away, the movie theater literally across the street, restaurants for every night of the week and then some, and all the "shopping," banks, and retail businesses within a quick five-minute walk.  Sometimes I forget about seeking the simplicity of a life serving God.  Here in the suburbs, it's important for me to see God's hand in simple things--a ladybug crawling on the wall, a timely phone call, the exact money I needed for groceries.  His handiwork and provision is all around me, and I just need to open my eyes and see it!

One day last week, Thomas called me to the kitchen area.  Our morning moments were filled with chattering birdsong as a flock of grackles settled on our snowy lawn, right next to our back yard windows.  I grabbed my camera--not just because I like photography, but because of my passion to capture the everyday wonders with which the Lord has blessed me.  And these birds were truly a wonder!


From past experience, I knew I had to photograph them through the window, since the slightest movement causes them to take flight.  There were literally hundreds of them, chattering away, digging through the snow for seeds and other food.  We watched them with delight, laughing (very quietly, mind you) at their antics, as more and more settled onto our lawn.  What a simple pleasure it was to just look and listen and enjoy the scene that God orchestrated for us.



The aspects of things that are most important for us
are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Although Ludwig Wittgenstein was a philosopher--I don't put much stock in philosophy--I do like this quote attributed to him.  I tend to overanalyze things; I want to figure everything out and understand all aspects of an issue.  The Lord constantly brings me back to simplicity through trust in and devotion to Him.  It reminds me of the faith of a child--simple, unwavering trust and hope in the Lord.

Paul wrote of his concern for the Corinthians, that...

...your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:3b (nasb)

 One movement too many by me and--POOF!

Today I'm reminded to be simply, purely devoted to Him, and to recognize Him in the simple things in my life.  Every now and then I may experience a spectacular moment, event, or day.  But simple wonders surround me, if I quiet my heart and look.

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
christine anne photography

6 comments:

  1. Being Still and knowing that He is everywhere! Beautiful!

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful reminder and beautiful pictures. Thank you!

    Blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Christine,

    I love this post...such beautiful simplicity. It reminds me of the verse in Matthew 10:29-31..."Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows..." Such comfort and peace...

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine this is just beautiful!
    I love how the Lord uses birds to teach us so much about simplicity and trust. I watch them outside my windows throughout the day, and share my home with a young cockateil, called Pickles :-)
    They always delight me too and yes-they do provide spectacular moments when I just gaze and say "Wow!"
    Wonderful photos my friend.
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi to my photography friend! Missed my visits this past week. Loved your capture of these birds with your thoughts!

    May your weekend be abundantly peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, and beautifully illustrated! Thanks for sharing, my friend :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)