The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, January 28, 2011

FFG -- Birthday Time

Plans4You

My sweet friend Lori hosts Friday Farm Girls @ Heart every week;
please click on her button to visit her blog
and to find out how you can participate!


Farm Girls love birthday parties!  I have planned some pretty big birthday parties in the past, but I love the small ones, too.  Once our little guys grew up, the bigger ones with lots of friends, games, and gifts faded away, and quieter, more intimate gatherings took their place.  And this momma thinks that is just fine.

Jacob at Christmastime

We had wanted our whole family (just five others besides our gang) to gather at our house last night for Jacob's 20th birthday.  But a snowstorm and a late day of work prevented the uncles and aunt (just one!) from coming.  Grandpa and Grandma, in true Midwestern style, braved the snow--the roads were all clear by evening--and drove on down to our home for dinner. 

Earlier in the week, I had volunteered to make my homemade pizza, and Jacob chose dessert.  My mom and I tossed around ideas for a cake--she has made cakes for the boys for every birthday--and Jacob eventually decided on my Oreo Cookie Cake.  Well, major yum, but lots of work.  :)

chocolate cake layers cooling

My kitchen wheels turned in my head as I checked off my mental to-do list:  make sauce, buy topping ingredients and cheese for the pizza and cake ingredients...  Jacob The Sweetheart went out Wednesday evening and bought everything I needed!  When I looked through the fridge later, I found organic whipping cream, organic baby bella mushrooms, and everything I needed.  *melted in a puddle on the floor*  (Can you tell I'm an "acts of service" gal?)

I arose early Thursday morning, in time to give Jacob a birthday hug before he left for college classes.  He told me, "Mom, I know you're making two of the most labor-intensive items for dinner tonight..."

I answered, "Jacob, 20 years ago, I endured ten hours of labor, three of which were intense back labor, to bring you into this world.  Pizza and cake are a walk in the park for me."

six pizzas, hot and bubbly

I, toasty and warm, happily spent a busy day in the kitchen.  Enjoy the few images I took from the day; most are of the food!

Oreo Cookie Cake

Happy birthday to you...


A wise son makes a father glad...
Proverbs 10:1 nasb

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
christine anne photography

8 comments:

  1. I think I need, yes need the recipe for that cake. LOL :). Oh by the way Happy birthday Jake!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jacob! Wow...20yrs old. That is an age that I will be experiencing with my oldest soon enough :)

    That cake looks delicious dear friend! :)

    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! And Happy Birthday to your son.

    Today was my Brock's birthday. He wanted pancakes, eggs and sausage for breakfast. I normally don't cook a big breakfast, well maybe for dinner, but since it was his birthday I made an exception.

    Blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog too!!! Great pictures, my friend! And, I too would love that recipe! My oldest is turning 18-mercy!-in two weeks! I'll be back to visit!
    Hugs!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!

    Happy birthday, Jacob! What a wonderful man you've grown into...we are honored to have your friendship!

    Love to your whole family :-)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy b-lated b-day to your son! And YUMMY that meals looks amazing !! ((eyes popping open)) You are a sweet mama for a sweet son.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious looking cake, Christine! And such a special day. I'm sure you're saying, "Where did those 20 years go?" What a gift our children are...such a sweet blessing.

    Happy Birthday, Jacob!
    ~The Wileys

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated Happy Birthday! Everything looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)