The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, January 21, 2011

FFG -- Heat Up My Home!

Plans4You

My amazing friend Lori hosts Friday Farm Girls @ Heart every week;
please click on her button to visit her blog
and to find out how you can participate!


Snow from earlier this week

January is cold in Chicagoland.  Even as I type, my fingers are cold.  And my feet are cold.  (I need to go find my slippers.)  But since the thermostat is set at 70 degrees, I can't justify turning it up.  Why is it that during winter, we set the heat to 70 and I'm cold, and in summer, we set the air conditioning to 70, and I'm hot?  Hmm...

This morning I took a photo of our porch thermometer.  I don't think it's going to get much warmer today--warmer being a relative term, of course.  Today, my farm-girl heart is reflecting on thermostats and thermometers.  Bet you'd like to know where this post is going.  :)

It's really quite simple.  I woke up nice and toasty in my bed, since I was snuggled under the covers all night.  That's the warmest I'll probably feel today.  But 70 degrees inside isn't so bad.  I got up, showered and dressed, and made myself a cup of tea.  I'm glad we set the thermostat at 70.  Though I'm a little cold, I know that it's warm inside.  (And I can always go into the kitchen and bake something.)

Then I grabbed my camera and stood on the porch--no coat, no shoes--to shoot the thermometer.  Yes, I wanted to shoot it, too, but I knew that the thermometer was merely reflecting what the actual temperature was.  It didn't do anything wrong, or bad.

And there is the lesson I'm learning today.  The thermostat sets the temperature; the thermometer reflects the temperature.  I am a "thermometer" in that I am a reflection of Christ in my home.  But is my "thermostat" set correctly?  Am I focused on Him today?  Am I setting a Godly, warm tone in my home, that it may be a haven of rest and a place of safety for Fernando and the boys, a place where visitors feel welcome and loved?

These verses talk about light, not heat, but they are a good description of this concept.

"You are the light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;
nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket,
but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works,
and glorify your Father who is in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16 nasb

Lord, help me set my eyes upon You, and help me plant my farm-girl heart firmly in my home, that I may reflect Your love and grace both within my little world and abroad.

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
christine anne photography

7 comments:

  1. Well my dear friend...right now in the mountains, we are bit warmer...a high 12 degrees :) You set your house at 70 degrees...I set mine a bit lower. My cottage has low ceilings so the heat is able to stay in the room a bit better.

    I like the verse you chose...as always The Word of Our Lord continues to be in everything that we do...moment by moment.

    Stay warm dear one :-)

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm-hmmm, it is sure COLD today! I love the thermostat/thermometer analogy to the role of a homemaker. Well said!

    See you tonite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy it's cold where you are! I feel like a wimp thinking that our 20 something degrees was cold this morning...at least we warmed up a bit!

    LOVE the illustration!

    Blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thermometer analogy!

    I'm so glad that you are enjoying the Mommytography! Your photos are always a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! You take great pictures! I have a main/homeschool/family blog as well. It's http://themamasplace.blogspot.com/

    Nice to meet you too!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciated this post my friend. We have a few thermometers in our home. And now when I see them I will remember your question. I think in pictures so if a person draws a word picture like you did that is the best. I really appreciate how you share your verses. It is such a encouragement, thank you. ((HUGS))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Christine!
    I just love this post...how true that we are like a thermometer...and how quickly our "temps" can go up or down...depending on our moods! We really do need to keep ourselves focused on Him...so that we don't reach "fever" stage...or worse, "hypothermia!"

    Have a blessed day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)