The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hiding in the Garden

Nothing much happens in the garden during wintertime.  Flowers and plants lie dormant, sleeping, waiting for the spring warmth and renewing rains to bring them back to life.

But on Monday morning, as Danny shoveled the dusty snow from the driveway, he happened upon a sign of life--not plants, but some tracks.  He traced them into the front porch garden, but not back out.  He caught sight of something, got as close as he could, then ran and told me.  Isn't it great when teenagers are still excited about spotting the Lord's beauty in His creation?  :)

I had my camera ready--I was taking macro photos of our morning breakfast--so I ran outside in my slippers with my 100mm macro lens on, and snapped the below shot.  Look carefully!


Then, since the little guy decided to stay, I ran back inside to change to my telephoto lens.  He accommodated me, and even after several shots, he was intent on staying put.  Nothing could move him (we didn't try scaring him out; it didn't seem right).


(I like the sepia tones of the editing I did; I'll post a color image on my photography blog later this week.)

He sat there, motionless.  Danny dropped a few leaves from above him.  He flinched, but did not move.  Either he was very brave, or filled with abject terror.  But he sat, still.

I personally have a hard time being still, being quiet.  My mind obsessively creates lists of things to do, do, do.  To just sit and do nothing?  Surely that rubs against my nature, my personality.

But there is a time for all things.  There is a time to be quiet and still, and to muse on His Word, silently, to listen to His voice as He speaks.  Lord, help me to be quiet and still before You, and to listen to You.  Help me to cherish the calm, still place that You provide.

O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.
Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
O Israel, hope in the LORD
From this time forth and forever.
Psalm 131 nasb

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
christine anne photography

8 comments:

  1. Oh, he's so sweet, Christine! I'm so glad that he stayed put and "visited" with you all.

    I loved your last post about thermometers and thermostats - something to ponder on today. Love it when I have something to mull over slowly. :) Thank you. Oh, you probably don't want to hear that ours is set at 66*, do you? Layers, my friend, layers, lol.

    Have a wonderful day! By order of the Birthday Queen (me) I command everyone to eat cake today and have at least one hour of totally free do-whatever-you-want today to celebrate with me. Get baking, my friend! lol

    love,
    Shani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet words, Christine. As usual, your photos are great. I echo your prayer. Thank you for sharing the Scripture. I needed to read that this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an incredible shot...the catch light in the bunny's eye...WOW! Such a lovely scripture too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear One...the example of such a little creature is so profound! To stay still and be observant...allowing Our Lord to show us His Glory!

    Thank you for your warm message and for your visit. It brings so much to my heart every time you stop by...

    In His Love,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful - in picture and word.

    Blessigs!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Christine, what a most delightful picture to just look at it. he is just so sweet!!!! Yes, being still and hearing from the Lord.
    ((hugs))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...so cute! Your verse spoke to me tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great shot...I didn't see him at first! OK, now I have to say it...that's probably a she-bunny! And that means that there'll be little wee-bunnies...and they're gonna eat our garden this summer! So, cute as he-she-wee-bunny is, I do not like him/her/them!!! But this did make a wonderful post :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)