The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, January 7, 2011

FFG -- Gourmet Granola

Plans4You

My amazing friend Lori hosts Friday Farm Girls @ Heart every week;
please click on her button to visit her blog
and to find out how you can participate!



A bowl of homemade granola

I'm slowly recovering from my back injury, and I'm happier this week!  I'm able to move around a bit more freely, and because of needing to stand frequently, I have found myself in my kitchen more often.  My practical farm-girl heart says, "If I need to stand, I may as well stand in the kitchen and do something!"


One morning, I enlisted the boys' help to make granola.  I posted a photo of this once a long time ago, but this time, I have photos and the recipe!!  :)

cinnamon, coconut chips, pepitas

Christine's Granola

This is a double recipe; the amounts are easier!  I usually triple the recipe to have extra throughout the week.  I list alternate ingredients (and notes) in parentheses, just in case you don't use what I use.  :)

  • 1 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (or other oil)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 24 oz. rolled oats (sorry I don't know how many cups this is; I use a scale--try about three cups!)
  • 1 T cinnamon
  • 1/2 t sea salt

Optional Ingredients (I use the above for plain granola, and add the below for "gourmet" granola; you can add as many or as few as you like!)
  • 1/2 cup ground flax seed
  • 1/2 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds; I use raw Mexican)
  • 1 cup coconut chips (from my bulk co-op, unsweetened coconut shavings and totally yummy)
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (I use a combination of raw walnuts and pecans, slivered almonds, even peanuts)
  • 1 cup raisins or other dried fruit (a friend just gave me dried cherries!!) -- chop them if large (like cherries)

Combine sucanat, coconut oil, and honey in a saucepan.  Cook over low heat until sucanat is dissolved (it will be shorter if you use brown sugar).  Stir in vanilla.  Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients--I usually add the dried fruit after baking--in a large bowl and mix to combine.

Pour the liquid mixture into the oatmeal mixture, stirring until completely combined.  Spread into a baking pan, and bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.  Remove to stovetop or potholders, and let cool until you can safely dump it in a large mixing bowl to stir in raisins.  Continue stirring the mixture as it cools (it will become one single clump if you don't!), until it's completely cooled and ready for storage.  Store in an airtight container; I use canning jars and other glass jars.

Stir to lift oats from the bottom of the bowl--this will help thoroughly combine the ingredients.

See?  Warm granola + cold milk = large clump :)

Glass jar storage.

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
christine anne photography

8 comments:

  1. Oh Christine...granola is my favorite type of cereal...but alas, I can not eat it all the time:(

    Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe...and yes, I believe that doing something in the kitchen is the best therapy :)

    In His Love,

    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhnnmmmmmmmmmm...Christine, you've done it again! I'm drooling on my keyboard...

    OK, my sons are going to make what your sons have made. That's it...way to yummy looking! Thank you for sharing that! it's also PERFECT for the food storage plan...hint hint!

    Love you,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori--It's already on my list! :)

    Love,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love granola!! Thank you for sharing this recipe along with the beautiful pictures. Have a great week. I'm a first time visitor from Friday Farm Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY ! I have granola almost 7 days a week. Yours looks very scrumptious indeed. I had to chuckle b/c I could hear myself saying this if I was in your shoes..."If I need to stand, I may as well stand in the kitchen and do something!" *grin*

    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love homemade granola! We make this every month or so and I just grab it by the handful and munch :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the simplicty of your recipe. How long can it be stored in the jars? Or is it better in the fridg?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We keep our granola in jars in the pantry. It usually doesn't last more than two weeks--meaning it is eaten by then! I don't think I'd let it sit for much more than three weeks. :)

    Love,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)