The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, July 8, 2011

When The Lord Gives You Peaches...

Welcome to my home today!  I promise there's a recipe at the end of this post.  Really.  I just got sidetracked with a mini Scripture study.  :)

I'm linking up with Lori's Friday Farm Girls at Heart, so be sure to click on her button at the end of this post to read more and find out how to participate!


I'm sure you are familiar with that old adage:  When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!  It's an upbeat saying which prompts me to make something good out of the "bad" that comes my way.  But I think the focus is a little off...


Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father of lights,
with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.
James 1:17 NASB


If something comes into my life today, the Lord, in His good will, has allowed it--whether for my edification, correction, character growth, or whatever.  Life doesn't give me lemons; the Lord does.  I happen to like lemons.  But sometimes I don't like what the Lord allows in my life!  However, the above verse does not imply that if something bad happens, it must not have come from the Lord.  I am His child, right?  He never leaves me, right?  Certainly He does not wish evil for me; but He allows in my life what He knows is best for me.  And all of what He allows is to bring Him glory.

I love this verse from the following hymn.  I've highlighted the line that pertains to what I'm talking about.


Day by Day
Carolina Sandell Berg

Verse 1

Day by day and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best--
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.


"Will that recipe ever appear on my screen?" you wonder.

Well, not to disappoint!  The Lord gave us peaches this week, given through my dear friend Helen.  Several of the peaches needed to be used right away, so one morning I found myself cutting, peeling, and chopping that delectable fruit and mixing it in to my basic coffee cake recipe.  I usually add blueberries, but the Lord gave me peaches!


Christine's Whole-Wheat Coffee Cake

Cake Mixture
1 1/2 cups sugar (I use cane juice crystals)
1/4 cup coconut oil (you may use softened butter)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
4 cups whole-wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups blueberries, peaches (pitted, peeled, chopped), or your favorite fruit!

Crumb Mixture
1 cup sugar (cane juice crystals)
2/3 cups sifted flour (I don't sift)
1/2 cup oats (I use regular old-fashioned rolled)
1 t cinnamon
1/2 cup butter

Using electric mixer, mix together the sugar and coconut oil.  Mix in eggs, then milk.  With whisk, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt; add to wet mixture.  Gently fold in fruit.  Spread in a 9x12 baking pan (greased/floured--this time I just greased it with coconut oil).  Using a pastry blender, mix together the crumb mixture and sprinkle it evenly over the batter.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until it is golden on top and tests done.

Yummy in the tummy!


Be sure to visit Lori's blog by clicking the button below.

Plans4You



Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

5 comments:

  1. good morning, sister! :-) We did something similar, albeit gluten-free. We called it "peach crisp" and was YUMMY. Michelle simply sprayed the 8x8 glass dish, placed in the bottom the pared, cut peaches, and made "crisp" to go on top, similar to your topping: she used GF oats and brown rice flour, brown sugar, cinnamon - stirred altogether then cut in butter. Placed on top of the peaches and baked 30 min. in 350 degr. oven. Wonderful!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am allowed flower again I am for sure going to make this! Thank you for sharing this. I love love love coffee cake.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photograph of those peaches (and lemons, are they, or oranges?) is just gorgeous! That coffee cake sounds just scrumptuous :-)

    Thanks for sharing, my dear friend!
    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are yummy photos and recipes! I can almost smell the peaches.
    Guess what? I just followed your blog!!! I didn't know that i haven't signed in as follower yet. I'm so sorry about that. I got to come here every week though :-)
    I want to send you an email. Could you send me your email address? i was looking around your site but couldn't find it.
    Thanks, Christine! I'm glad to see that Lori's FFG is back. I haven't been blogging these days, except for Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Christine! I can't wait to try it. I'm thinking blueberry this week, but also am anticipating making an apple in the fall.

    Looks as though all is well with you and yours, and I'm mightily glad to hear it! Have a lovely week!

    Blessings,
    Shani xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)