The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Micro-Farming in My Back Yard

Plans4You


I'm linking up with Lori's Friday Farm Girls @ Heart today.  Click on her button above to read more Farm Girl posts and to participate with us.


 Wednesday's high temperature

I trudged out to the back yard yesterday morning with the knowledge that it may hit 100 degrees again.  I was thankful, at least, that it was early morning, and the slight breeze made the "cooler" morning temperatures bearable.



First job--tie up any falling tomato plants.  I want them to survive and bear fruit!  We've had a couple of short, intense storms, and a few plants had been bent over.



Second job--the first of the pole beans and tomatoes!  I picked a cherry tomato, and my very first plum tomato.  My plum tomatoes have been suffering with yellowing leaves and black spots, and a few tomatoes with blossom end rot.  I used some natural remedies and the plants seem to have recovered a bit.  I picked just one tomato, but it "officially" begins my tomato harvest.  It is a promise of many more in the coming weeks.



Third job--cayenne peppers.  These have been coming in for a few weeks, and I already have a bunch strung up and drying along my dining room window.  Once they're dry, I'll crush them for a spicy pizza topping, or to spice up our cuisine.

Tomatoes, pole beans, cayenne, and some beans I picked for Lori :)


Fourth job--jalapeƱos!  I picked all I could, even the smaller ones.  Hopefully I'll be able to pick more throughout next week, then can 6-8 jars for my first canning session of this harvest season.



Fifth job--water the garden.  I watered earlier this week, but since it has been bone dry around here this month (and longer), I wanted to make sure the garden gets nice and soaked.


Whew!  I was getting hot and sweaty.  Time to go into the air-conditioned house and cool off a bit before showering and getting into the rest of my day.


The Rest of the Story...

Less than two hours later, here's what happened:

The Lord watered my garden!!


Ah, well.  And another update--we had storms ALL NIGHT last night!  Some areas received SIX to SEVEN inches!!  (The use of exclamation points is justified!!!)  I'm now humming Showers of Blessing...


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post, Christine. You have a lovely garden.

    Thank you for blessing my heart today with your garden photos.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is doing sooooooo well! I really hope we get enough sun soon that our plants will really start to thrive. But in the mean time we are getting lots of salads and Asian greens. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for picking my beans! Bryan will take them home, and anything else that you tell him he has to pick, LOL! I'll send our canvas bag with him.

    Gotta go pack!
    Love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)