The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Thursday, July 21, 2016

When One Good Thing Ends and Another Comes Along

Very end of June.

The regular strawberries in my first strawberry bed (for they've taken over the entire bed, those hogs) go wild for about two weeks at the end of May and beginning of June.  They're not huge, not like in the store, but they're a good size and I've got two four-pound bags in the freezer waitin' on me to turn them into preserves some day soon.  Plus, there are two more smaller bags in the freezer waitin' on muffins, or oatmeal, or...  You get the picture.

Well, strawberry season ended for those strawberries, but lo and behold, there's another strawberry season about a month later.  That's when my Alpine strawberries really come in--they had been producing mostly handfuls every several days, enough to put in my oatmeal yum yum--and now they were coming in like gangbusters.  Woot woot!


Alpine strawberries look like tiny Christmas tree lights, and are fairly delicate.  I finesse them off by pulling them to the side, not straight off, and let them tumble into my little white colander.



Aren't they cute?

These little beauties get frozen in one layer on a tray (or baking pan), then dumped into canning jars which stay in the freezer.  They added up quickly, and I have at least three quarts that I remember putting in (maybe there's more!!).  They're so small that no cutting is needed, and they can be measured frozen right out of the jar and into whatever recipe needs them.

Recipes like Berry Banana Baked Oatmeal!

This gets gobbled up at our house--I barely got a photo with my phone!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)