The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Simplify and Beautify -- My January Mantel

I took a few close-up pictures of my mantel, and thought I'd like to share them with you.  But first, a spelling lesson.

1.  mantle -- a loose sleeveless cloak or shawl, worn especially by women.

2.  mantel --  a beam, stone, or arch serving as a lintel to support the masonry above a fireplace.

Please don't confuse the two.  Thanks.


Now, my mantel isn't that original or unique, and will never grace the pages of a home decorating magazine (or blog).  And I don't even have a full image of the whole thing!  Here are (most of) the elements I used for my winter mantel.

1.  A pine-scented soy candle bought when we purchased our Christmas tree.

2.  A rectangle serving dish, Pfaltzgraff Ocean Breeze pattern, from my dishes.

3.  Pine cones gathered at a nearby park.


4.  Acorn and butternut squash picked from my garden this past autumn.


5.  A Mason jar from my canning collection, filled with...

6.  Dried flowers from a birthday flower arrangement, and

7.  Three snowflake decorations given to me by my brother Jeff for Christmas.


(That's my wedding picture tucked back there--I can't even remember how it got there, lol!).


8.  Ash tray purchased at a farmers market on vacation several years ago (used as a candle holder and now my snuffer tray).


9.  Little wooden plaque given to me by my mom after I surprised her for her 75th birthday.


That's it.  Many of the elements will be used elsewhere during other months, the pink flowers will be tossed, and the snowflakes will be stored in one of four boxes of Christmas decorations.  And the squash is being eaten, of course!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)