The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Breakfast Egg Cups

I love eggs, in every way, shape, and form you can cook them.  One recent morning, I threw these breakfast egg cups together with several leftover items I found in the fridge.  They were delicious with a bit of salsa on the side.  Next time I'll mix a little salsa in for flavor.  That would make them seriously delicious.  I added the salsa to the recipe so you don't forget.  (You're welcome.)

I used leftovers, and assembled as I went, so I didn't start with an exact recipe (the more "exact" recipe is below, never fear).  I have been a lifelong follower of recipes, only straying every now and again.  However, as I've grown in cooking abilities, I find myself straying more and more--with mostly yummy results.  So go ahead and give it a try!


My eggs must come from a farm whose owner I know.  We eat as healthy as possible, and farm fresh eggs are something I just can't give up.  I've read enough to know where those old, store-bought white eggs come from (even the organic, or free-range, or whatever in the store), and I don't think I'll buy them again, unless I really need to.  Good food isn't cheap, and cheap food isn't good.

Farm fresh eggs.


Here's some updated pictures from the next time I made these.  I added the salsa into the recipe.  Other than less cheese on the top (I'll have to remedy that, because cheese!!), these had the salsa flavor added in.  That made it very easy to just pick these up and eat them by hand.  You can't really see any chunks of salsa, but the added ingredient really enhanced the flavor!


For this updated batch of egg cups, I used brown rice (the last one was a rice pilaf, recipe still forthcoming).


Here is the recipe.  Please don't be intimidated by the lack of exact amounts.  I used to be in your shoes, trust me.  Most cooking (as opposed to baking) recipes are forgiving, and you'll learn to adjust any recipe to your taste.  You'll start commenting to yourself--hey, I bet mushrooms would be great in these!  And you'll chop up and saute some fresh ones, or open a can of sliced.  See how easy that is?

Breakfast Egg Cups

Leftover corn bread (I used leftover Cracklin' Bread!)
Eggs, about 10 should do
About one cup cooked rice--white, brown, pilaf... (I used Bay Rice Pilaf, recipe coming soon!)
Shredded cheddar cheese--about 1 cup or as much as you like
A little milk
Salsa, about 3/4 cup or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 12-cup muffin tin (I use rendered pork lard).  Cut up corn bread into small cubes (or chunk it).  Cover the bottom of each muffin cup with the corn bread cubes.

Evenly distribute the rice among the muffin cups (a generous tablespoon or so).  Evenly distribute the salsa among the cups (about a tablespoon in each).  Evenly distribute the cheddar cheese among the cups (a nice tablespoon or so).

Scramble the eggs with the milk and some salt to taste.  Evenly distribute the egg mixture over each cup, letting the egg soak in and filling each cup.  Grind some fresh pepper over each cup.

Bake in the oven about 15-20 minutes, until the egg is set (use a toothpick or cake tester, or press the center of one cup gently with your finger--it should spring back and not be mushy) and the cheese is golden.  Let cool a few minutes, then remove muffin cups to a cooling rack.  Serve warm with fresh salsa.




Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)