The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cookie? Cake? Both!

I recently posted my recipe for my chocolate cake (and its companion frosting recipe).  Today I'm going to share how to make a special cake that uses those cake layers (but not the frosting).  It's so nice to be able to pull cake layers out of the freezer and quickly whip up something amazing--especially when it involves chocolate.  :)


Made with Trader Joe's Candy Cane JoJo's (super yummy during the holidays!).

I took this recipe from an old Kraft Food & Family magazine, and completely modified it with healthier (organic) ingredients; sorry, Kraft!  Also, since I usually make things from scratch, be warned--there are a few more steps involved!



Giant Cookie Cake

Two prepared 9" chocolate cakes (get the recipe here)

Filling
1 8-oz. package cream cheese
1/2 cup cane juice crystals (or sugar)
2 cups prepared whipped cream*
12 (or more) cream-filled sandwich cookies (I use Trader Joe's Jo-Jo's, or their Peppermint Jo-Jo's available at Christmas; yum!) -- chop these into chunks

*To whip cream, pour about 1 cup of heavy whipping cream into a small mixing bowl.  Add two tablespoons cane juice crystals (or sugar).  Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.  I sometimes double this to have extra whipping cream to decorate the top of the cake.

Glaze
4 squares of semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/4 cup butter, cut up



To prepare the filling, beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.  Gently fold in whipped topping and chopped cookies (I mix them both in at the same time).



Place one of the cake layers on a service plate, top side down.  Spread top of cake layer evenly with cream cheese/cookie mixture.  Use all of the mixture--it will be a thick layer!  Place remaining cake layer, top side up, on top of the filling.



With a frosting spreader, smooth the filling around the edge.


For the glaze, melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently.  Before chocolate is completely melted, turn off burner and continue stirring until it completely melts.  Set aside to cool for at least five minutes.


Gently pour glaze over top of finished cake, and spread to edges with a frosting spreader.



Sometimes I chop some extra cream-filled cookies to decorate the top of the cake.




Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. That looks scrumptious! I WILL try that someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharity! It is indeed yummy, I can assure you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)