The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Healthy Strawberry Shortcakes


If strawberries could talk, they'd be shouting in a sweet-happy-excited voice, "Welcome to summer!  It's here!!"

They'd also be begging to be put into a shortcake with some whipped cream.  Please don't introduce them to Cool Whip.  They want the real thing.  Trust me on this; I heard it straight from the berries themselves.

That's a seven-quart bowl, right from my little garden.




Enough overflowing strawberry pictures.  On with the recipe.  The original recipe can be found here.  She has beautiful photography, too.  I use freshly milled whole wheat, and I have to note that this recipe makes about ten cakes, not six as the original recipe states.  Though maybe my biscuit cutter is smaller...

I don't add any sugar to my strawberries, either.  (Most recipes tell you to add sugar of some sort, then let them sit so they mellow and soften.)  I love my strawberries as fresh as possible, so they go straight into the shortcakes.

Another modification I made is to mix the egg and honey first, then mix the milk in.  Honey is sure hard to mix well with the cold milk.  I've noted that in the directions below.

Strawberry Shortcakes
Yield:  10 shortcakes

2 cups fresh whole wheat pastry flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed

1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup milk

Whipped cream

Preheat oven to 400°.  In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  In a small bowl, whisk egg and honey first, then add milk and whisk until smooth.  Stir into flour mixture just until moistened.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently until dough is smooth.  Pat dough into 3/4-inch thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter.  Place on stoneware baking sheets (or parchment paper-lined sheets). Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.

For fresh whipped cream, pour a pint of heavy whipping cream into a chilled bowl (colder makes it go faster).  Add 2-4 tablespoons of sugar (I use cane juice crystals and "err" on the side of four tablespoons)) and a splash of pure vanilla extract.  Beat until thick and peaks form.

To assemble, split shortcakes in half.   Fill with whipped cream and strawberries.  Top with additional whipped cream.  And a strawberry or two.





Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)