The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Kid Turns 20

May 26.

Hey, Thomas.

Today, at 6:11am, you turned 20 years old.  But you know that.  I just wanted to let you know how much I love you.  Most of the time I don't get you--must be that right-brained thing you inherited from your father--but that's part of your charm.


My goofy little guy, always getting in your brothers' faces, always bugging them, always wanting to be with them.  You were always getting into mischief, too, probably thinking in your cute little head how interesting and exciting it might be to try ___ (sledding down the stairs in your new Christmas sled, flicking the deadbolt on the door and escaping toward the four-lane road across the field, running at breakneck speed down the driveway stopping just at the curb next to the street--and giving both your mom and the driver of the fire truck near heart attacks...).

But you managed to survive childhood unscathed.  You didn't get my lecture about the danger of scissors, only remembering that you got a Popsicle at the end of the emergency room ordeal, complete with stitches and bandage.  ("Now, Thomas, what happens when you play with scissors?"  "Um, I get a Popsicle?")

You not only survived childhood, but you made it into those hormonal teen years, making me wonder if you'd be chatty and animated during our car rides to/from math club, or if you'd be quietly silent, just sharing the ride with me.

You surprise me a lot, too, with your tender heart that you don't generally show to others, with your wry humor that makes me roll my eyes after I realize you're humorously baiting me.  You're pretty special, I hope you know.

I'm so thankful that the Lord allowed us to have those few years together, those last few years of high school when it was just you and I together, figuring out our "new" relationship and how things worked between the two of us.  We emerged from those high school years with a very special relationship, and I'm forever grateful to God that He blessed us in so many ways!

I see you continuing to grow, especially at tech school, spreading your wings as time ticks on.  I see more than you know, and I'm betting it won't be too much longer now.  I know that my time with you is short, and I'm cherishing it all I can.

Love you, kiddo!

Mom



Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)