The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

In Search of Tomatoes

It seems that everything is quick nowadays.  *sigh*

Life has overwhelmed our little family.  Jacob has returned to school, Danny is making the daily commute downtown to school, Thomas is attending daily football practice and weekly games.  Joseph stays busy at home with me--well, when I'm here, anyway.

Needless to say, I blinked and summer was gone.  Here is a little tour of my July tomatoes.


Unlike green peppers, jalapeƱos, and other green veggies, tomatoes are easy to spot among tangles of leaves, plant stakes, and other obstacles.

Looking for red.


A lovely harvest of red!



After harvesting my tomatoes, I took some crushed eggshells and mixed them into the soil around each plant.  The calcium in the shells helps deter blossom-end rot, and even though it was already mid-summer, I figured it couldn't hurt.  I simply tossed the shells into a bucket and let them dry over several days.  Once dry, the shells are very easy to crush--though I did use my garden gloves since the edges can be sharp!


I also double-checked to make sure the plants were staked well, and added extra garden tape around weaker areas.  This garden tape (below) was given to me, but can be found at any garden center.  It's soft on the underside, and utilizes Velcro to stick together.  I cut the length I need, wrap it around, and secure the end onto itself.  Easy!



If you're really frugal, you could save each piece of garden tape and use it again the next year.  Hmm, I might have to try that.  I don't think the Velcro wears out that quickly.  I think I just gave myself another autumn garden project...!

Happy autumn gardening!


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your tomatoes have grown nicely. And if I had a garden, I would definitely reuse that kind of garden tape. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)