The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Baked Yogurt Chicken


I'm on a chicken kick now!  Not really--I'm just blogging some chicken recipes.  This particular recipe has been a part of our dinner repertoire for many, many years, and is--obviously--a family favorite.  It is also a simple recipe, quick and easy to prepare.  Plus I'm going to show you my lazy cook's way of putting it together!

One other note:  My guys tend to fight over who cleans up after this meal.  I usually catch one of them scraping all the yogurt/breading mixture left in the pan and eating it up, even if there's chicken left over!  Yes, it's that good.  :)

First the photos; then the recipe...

Chicken breasts, plain yogurt, bread crumb mixture -- that's pretty much it!

The original recipe calls for you to dip a chicken breast in thee yogurt, then dip it in the bread crumb mixture to coat both sides, then place it in the baking dish.  Here's my lazy way:

Sprinkle bread crumbs in the bottom of the baking dish (13x9).
Put some blobs of yogurt around the bottom of the dish.

Place the breasts (or breast pieces--I cut mine in half) into the blobs
push them around a little to spread the yogurt out.

Sprinkle the rest of the bread crumb mixture over the top of the chicken, and bake.

Yogurt Chicken.  (With beets on the side, in case you wondered what that red stuff was.)

 Baked Yogurt Chicken

1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (I use freshly grated Romano)
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
dash pepper (a few cranks of the pepper mill--there's nothing like freshly ground pepper!)
16-oz. container plain yogurt
6-8 large chicken breasts (I also cut mine in half)

Combine everything but the yogurt and chicken in a pie tin.  Place yogurt in a bowl; stir until smooth.  Dip each breast in yogurt, then coat with the breading mixture.  Place in a 13x9 baking dish.  Pour remaining yogurt and bread crumbs over chicken in dish.  You may top everything with some melted butter drizzled over (you really don't need it, but the original recipes says...), plus some sesame seeds (which is delicious but I always forget them--rats!).

Bake at 375 degrees F, uncovered for 45-55 minutes until breading is golden and chicken is cooked through.  Serves 6-8, or more if you serve breast halves!




Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe. This is something my family would also enjoy. Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)