The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Beef Liver and Onions


Yes, I really typed that.  Liver.  It was in a side of beef that we had purchased a while ago, and I had no idea what to do with it.  I've had people tell me to cook it "low and slow" and "high and fast."  What to do?  I asked a couple friends then went surfing around the internet for help.

What I learned:

  1. Soaking the liver in milk rids it of that liver-y taste (if you don't like it).
  2. Don't overcook the liver; it will become tough.

Based on these things, I decided that higher and faster would be the way I would go.  One thing I didn't like, though, was the onions cut in rings.  The next time I made this, I just chunked them up--no strings of onions to try and cut through, and the taste was the same.  (I have texture issues...)

This recipe turned out delicious!  I was surprised that I liked liver; now on the off-chance we order more beef in the future, I'll know exactly what to do with the liver we get.

Here's the recipe!

Beef Liver and Onions

1 1/2 pounds of sliced beef liver
milk as needed to cover the liver (one cup, maybe more)
2-4 tablespoons of butter/oil/lard (whatever you use, or combination), divided
2 medium/large onions, either cut into rings or chopped to your preferred size
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup or so of all-purpose flour
garlic powder, salt, pepper -- for seasoning

Gently rinse liver slices under cold water, swipe moister away with fingers, and place in a bowl.  Pour milk over liver until covered; let stand 30 minutes to an hour.

Heat two tablespoons of butter/oil/lard in a large skillet set on medium heat.  Stir in the onions and garlic and saute until soft.  Remove to a separate bowl.

Drain the milk from the liver.  Season the liver with salt, pepper, and garlic, and dredge in the flour (or sprinkle the flour over the slices).

Meanwhile, heat the remaining two tablespoons butter/oil in the skillet on medium-high.  Place the coated liver slices in the pan; cook until nice and brown on the bottoms.  Flip and cook the other sides until browned.  Add the onions back into the skillet and reduce heat to medium.  Cook just a bit longer to meld the flavors together.  Don't overcook!  Cut a piece to see if it's a teeny bit pink inside, then remove from heat and serve.




Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)