The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Salad Dressing - French/Catalina


I never know whether to call it French, or Catalina.  I know it's sweet and tangy, and I love it on salad.  I know that it's my dad's favorite, too.  ;)  And, if you have read my blog, you know the recipe is at the end.  :)

Salad dressings are so incredibly easy to make; most of my dressings can be made in ten minutes or less!  They store in the fridge for a few weeks, and they taste so much better than their store-bought counterparts.  Not to mention, they're so much healthier, too!

I love all different types of salad, and this dressing works on most of them!  Here's a traditional green salad, topped with chopped chicken and cubed cheddar cheese...


And below is a less traditional green salad topped with corn and some leftover grilled steak, which I diced.


Here's another salad, red leaf lettuce and tomato, sprinkled with brown rice and crumbled feta cheese.  My French/Catalina dressing was perfect on all these salads!


I usually halve this recipe, since I tend to make just one dressing at a time and use it until it's gone.  I just found out that it's not safe to can oil-based recipes, so canning this would not be an option.  It takes so little time to make, though, that canning doesn't matter.

French/Catalina Salad Dressing
Yields about two cups.

2/3 cup ketchup
2/3 cup oil (I use grapeseed; evoo will cause it to get thick in the fridge)
1/2 cup sugar (I use cane juice crystals; you could also use honey)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar (or to taste; I've found this amount works fine)
salt to taste (I end up using more than just a pinch)
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon chopped onion

Combine all ingredients in blender; blend until smooth.  Store in fridge 2-3 weeks.  NOTE:   I use my Braun stick blender; it's way quicker than hauling out my blender, and clean-up is a breeze, too!




Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)