The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. ~ Psalm 16:6 nasb

Friday, June 17, 2016

Compelled

Our journey continues...

Though I won't share details publicly through my blog, our hope of permanent employment for Fernando has yet again been put on hold.  Hope and anticipation were tossed about in unexpected waves rushing toward us, tumbling onto our shores.  It's so hard to hold on to Him, to hope and have faith, but so much inside my heart cries out that He is true, His plans are always good, He knows my heart, and He owns my life.  I am compelled to trust, when everything around me says otherwise.

Two of the girls in my driveway.

No matter the circumstances, His Spirit compels me--to trust, to hope, to sing.  When my trust wavers, He is faithful.  When my hope dims, His light shines.  When my song falters, His Spirit cries out in my heart.

Pink beard-tongue, a pretty flower that steadfastly grows, year after year.

I discovered a new hymn recently, thanks to a dear friend, Debbie.  She texted me last Sunday morning and suggested I look up a familiar hymn that had blessed her that very morning--My Father's World.  That prompted a YouTube search, and a discovery of some hymns by an artist I'm already familiar with.  And in searching her songs, I found this hymn I had never heard before.

And, although I'd rather cry yet again, I'd rather despair once more, I'd rather toss in the towel, His Spirit compels me to sing, through my tears, through my doubt.  Please listen, and read the words, and sing (and maybe cry) along with me.


My life flows on in endless song;
Above earth's lamentation,
I hear the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation;

Thro' all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul--
How can I keep from singing?

What tho' my joys and comforts die?
The Lord my Saviour liveth;
What tho' the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night He giveth.

No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that refuge clinging;
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?

I lift my eyes; the cloud grows thin;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smooths,
Since first I learned to love it.

The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing;
All things are mine since I am His--
How can I keep from singing?

No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that refuge clinging;
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?

First published August 7, 1868,
in The New York Observer.
Titled "Always Rejoicing"
and attributed to "Pauline T."


Back to life,
Christine

Visit my photography blog
Visit my photography website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I appreciate them very much, and will visit you in return. :)